When I was a kid, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work.
On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage, and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed, yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school.
I do not remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite. When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits and I will never forget what he said.
He smiled at her and said, "Honey, I love burned biscuits."
Later that night, I went to kiss my dad good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned.
He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your mom put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides, a little burnt biscuit never hurt anyone."
Life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people . I am not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else, but what I have learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults, and choosing to celebrate each other's differences, is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing and lasting relationship.
This is my hope for you today. That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and have a good relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker.
We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship.
Do not put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket; keep it in your own.
So, pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burnt one will do just fine.
Understanding Is The Base Of Any Relationship
Label:
Lifesupport
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Favorites
-
I can't remember all the speeches at my commencement ceremony. But I do remember looking up on the stage to see my best friend, the va...
-
Author Joan Didion talks about how losing a loved one can make a perfectly rational person feel like she is losing her mind. Int...
-
A question was posed to Dalai Lama: "What is the thing about humanity that surprises you the most?" His answer was as follows: ...
-
Just a reminder of what really is important in life!!! Shoes in Church I ...
-
REUTERS/Phil McCarten #97 Kenneth Griffin ...
-
©Brad Barket/Getty Images #26 Ronald Perelman $11.5 billion Source: leveraged...
-
#29 Edward Johnson III $11.0 billion Source: Fidelity ...
-
BY: Anthony DeCurtis Introduction Interview A few years back, rocker Marily...
-
Top Sites Google google.com Enables users to search the Web, Usenet, and images. Features include PageRan...
-
©AP Photo/Bela Szandelszky #28 Leonard Blavatnik $11.0 billion Source:...
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar